The Director of Health and Safety will be responsible for inspiring and empowering a culture of Safety First across the organization. This role will be responsible for WSIB claims management, working closing with the Ministry of Labour, and training programs. This role will also be responsible to meet the organizational goals and objectives in collaboration with internal and external leaders and stakeholders. This role requires an effective critical thinker and an inspirational leader.
Key Functions & Duties:
- Provide HS project management support on HS matters including negotiating strategies, technical problem solving, responses to written correspondence & inquiries, compliance inspections, and regulatory interpretations.
- Liaise with regulatory agencies and legal on matters related to reporting, investigating compliance concerns, and project management.
- Analyze and interpret permit conditions and provide guidance to operating units and to the HS team.
- Provide support in the management of the Health and Safety Management System and ensure adherence to HS Corporate requirements across the organization
- Analyze the work environment, develop, and maintain programs designed to control, eliminate, and prevent occupational disease and/or injury and/or environmental harm caused by physical, chemical, biological agents, or ergonomic factors.
- Conduct field and site inspections to enforce adherence to laws, regulations, and employer policies governing occupational safety and environmental compliance including hazardous and non-hazardous waste area inspections, spill prevention inspections, landfill assessments, waste profiles & characterizations, and other requirements.
- Develop and deliver regulatory required training related to health, safety, and environment.
- Provide technical support to front-line leadership on matters related to safety, health, and environmental compliance.
- Investigate incidents and non-compliance events to determine contributing factors and recommend remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
- Participate in industry association meetings as needed.
- Responsibilities for the department budget
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Completion of a college or university program in a Management related field; preferably Occupational Health and Safety
- CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) preferred
- 10 + experience in an HS leadership role with demonstrated team development and team building success
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task in a multi-office/location organization
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- High level of emotional intelligence and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Clear driver’s abstract