Mine closure refers to the period of time when extracting activities of a mine have stopped and the final decommissioning is being planned and completed. Mine closures are highly regulated in Canada by federal and provincial governments to ensure planning, decommissioning, and remediation are thoroughly and fully completed.
Mine Decommissioning & Reclamation
While mine closure is required by law in Canada to have a plan prior to the mine even beginning operations, there is still extensive health and safety planning that occurs through the actual mine decommissioning.
There are a variety of steps to take with a professional demolition and decommissioning company to ensure the mine is being closed to all standards and as smoothly as possible.
At YORK1, we have extensive experience and training in environmental sensitivities relating to mine closure, decommissioning, and reclamation. Our experience in mine decommissioning has made us leaders in the industry and fostered partnerships with mining companies across Canada.
projects we worked on:
YORK1's demolition team was contracted for the second phase of the Frood Stobie Mine Buildings decommissioning, involving the demolition of the 100-foot-tall Crusher Building and the 95-foot-tall Mill Building. To ensure a safe demolition, the team employed engineered pulls and worked in a bay-by-bay sequence under the guidance of an engineer.
The Timminco Mine in Haley Station, Ontario, a magnesium open pit mine since 1941, halted mining in 2007 and magnesium processing in 2009. This comprehensive closure involved various tasks such as capping mill tailings, removing thorium-contaminated materials, demolishing buildings, cleaning up soil contamination, and accommodating potential threats to endangered species, with work carried out in two phases concluding in November 2018.
Northern Ontario Diamond mine decommissioning
Our dedicated team undertook the challenging task of removing hydro transmission lines, dismantling hydro poles, and collecting the wire, demonstrating a high level of precision and expertise.
Mine decommissioning is a key part of the mine closure process. The health and safety of employees, the decommissioning team, and the environment are paramount to a successful project.
YORK1 works within the mining closure plan that has been pre-prepared by the company to ensure cooperation and cohesiveness among processes and teams. We are committed to rigorously adhering to the comprehensive set of regulations set forth by the Ministry of Environment and the specific guidelines prescribed by your organization.
We responsibly remove any structures on your site and ensure mine shafts are blocked off appropriately, depending on their depth, to avoid subsidence. Our focus in mine decommissioning is ensuring structural elements and environmental threats are properly abated to ensure environmental remediation and mine reclamation can go as smoothly as possible.
At YORK1, we take community needs and environmental requirements into consideration during the decommissioning process. Our strong safety-first culture sets us apart from other demolition and decommissioning companies, especially when it comes to mine closures.
Mine reclamation is perhaps the most important part of mine closure and decommissioning. Site remediation, environmental abatement, cleanup, and restoration are all part of the process to ensure mining land can be returned to a biologically sound state ideal for wildlife, recreation, or commercial uses.
Our services in mine decommissioning include removing structures and hazardous materials safely and disposing of them at sites that are regulated to accept them. This allows for proper mine reclamation to be carried out after the mine has been closed.
- Revegetating Areas
- Managing Water Quality
- Resloping Rock Piles
- Covering Waste Rock Piles
- Encouraging Wildlife to Return to the Area
- Beautification Processes
- Ongoing Maintenance and Testing
Why choose York1 for Mine decommissioning and reclamation?
- Expertise: We have a team of professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in mine decommissioning and reclamation.
- Safety Focus: We prioritize safety above all else, implementing stringent safety protocols to protect both our team and the environment.
- Regulatory Compliance: We have a proven track record of adhering to all relevant regulations and standards, ensuring your project is legally sound.
- Environmental Stewardship: Our commitment to environmental sustainability means we take great care to minimize the ecological impact of our operations.
- Cost-Efficiency: We offer cost-effective solutions without compromising on quality, maximizing the value of your investment.
- Timely Delivery: We consistently meet project deadlines, providing peace of mind performance.
- Site Assessment: We conduct thorough site assessments to tailor our services to the specific needs and challenges of your project.
- Community Engagement: We actively engage with local communities and address their concerns, fostering positive relationships.
- Proven Success: We have a history of successful projects, demonstrating our ability to deliver exceptional results.
- Customized Solutions: We understand that each project is unique, and we tailor our solutions to meet our client's specific requirements. Our clients' satisfaction is our top priority, and we work closely with them to achieve their goals.
- Local Expertise: Our deep understanding of regional mining regulations and environmental considerations sets us apart.
- Environmental Restoration: YORK1 is dedicated to restoring mining sites to their natural state, contributing to a healthier environment.
CONTACT YORK1 TO LEARN MORE
Every decommissioning and demolition is unique, especially when it comes to mine decommissioning. We have the experience to work within existing plans and help guide our clients to proper decommissioning and remediation processes while working within health and safety protocols.
We perform mine decommissioning across Canada. Contact us today for more information about how we can help your project.